Yamaha REFACE YC Overview
The Reface YC from Yamaha is a combo organ offering a ton of vintage sound and control in a small size. Based on vintage organs, the YC or "Yamaha Combo" is a re-imagined interface providing 128-note polyphony with nine drawbars, rotary speaker, percussion, and effects for a complete organ experience.
The YC's front panel offers dedicated sliders for all functions, making sound design and exploration fast and easy. The organ wave section offers five waveforms with selections for American tonewheel, British, Italian, and Japanese transistor, as well as a Yamaha YC-45D organ. Nine drawbars offer different scale degrees above and below the fundamental tone, while the percussion section offers an accent to the attack portion of the sound with controls for two types (A & B) and length for controlling the length of the percussion sounds release. A vibrato/chorus section adds different types of undulating effects.
Additional features include built in stereo speakers, a dedicated volume control, an octave slider, and a rotary speaker section which offers a Leslie speaker simulator with fast, slow, stop and off settings. On-board effects include distortion and reverb.
The miniature 37-note keyboard utilizes the same High Quality (HQ) technology as Yamaha's flagship Motif XF workstation keyboard, offering a premium feel and fast response for accurate and natural playing. The YC can be powered by 6 "AA" batteries and offers a foot control connection for hands-free volume control.
Other connections include two unbalanced 1/4" / 6.35mm outputs, a stereo 1/4" / 6.35mm headphone output, a stereo mini TRS 1/8" / 3.5mm input, and a mini-DIN connector providing MIDI in and out. Additionally, a USB connection is offered for connecting the instrument to a computer or iOS device. Although there is no preset memory, an iOS app is available to work as a librarian with parameters responding to MIDI CC controller data. The YC synthesizer ships with a power adapter and a MIDI breakout cable.
- Combo Organ Sound Engine with five vintage organ waveforms
- The five organ waves are:
- H, American tonewheel organ
- V, British transistor organ
- F, Italian transistor organ
- A, Japanese transistor organ
- Y, Yamaha YC-45D
- All the controls needed to play organ including drawbars, percussion, vibrato and rotary speaker
- Rotary speaker speed control with four values: fast, slow, stop and off
- Organ effects add character with two retro organ effects, distortion and reverb
- 128-note polyphony ensures dropout-free performance
- Keyboard: Based on the FS action found on the flagship Motif XF, HQ (High Quality) Mini Keys provide premium feel and response for fast, accurate and natural playing
- Pedal: Continuous controller pedal input for volume control
Mobility and Connectivity
- Speakers: 2W 1.2" / 3.0 cm stereo speaker system lets you play any place, any time
- Specially designed bass reflex port technology enhances bass response for full, rich sound
- Battery Powered: Uses six "AA" batteries with five hours of life
- USB: USB "TO HOST" allows MIDI connectivity to your USB-equipped computer or iOS device
- Audio Output: Dual 1/4"unbalanced line outputs provide connection to mixers, audio interfaces, DI boxes and more
- Audio Input: A 3.5mm aux line input lets you connect and hear mobile devices, tablets and more through the instrument
- Soundmondo is a free sound sharing community that lets you discover, create and share reface Voices and Set Lists using Google Chrome any place, any time you're online
- Powered by Web MIDI, Soundmondo is simple to use - just connect reface to Chrome and you're ready to create or start browsing