Yamaha REFACE CS Overview
The Reface CS from Yamaha is an analog modeling synthesizer offering simple controls and complex sounds in a small size. Based on the CS-80 synthesizer, the CS or "Control Synthesizer" is a re-imagined interface providing 8-note polyphony with five oscillator modules capable of creating a variety of sounds from analog to digital.
The CS's front panel offers dedicated sliders for all functions, making sound design and exploration fast and easy. The oscillator section offers five waveforms with additional texture and mod controls, while the 18 dB-per-octave low-pass filter offers cutoff frequency and resonance controls. The envelope generator features the classic attack, decay, sustain, and release (ADSR) controls. An envelope generator balance slider assigns the control to the filter when at the top, or the amplifier at the bottom, and blends the two when placed in the middle. The LFO or low-frequency oscillator offers a fixed waveform with a four way switch to route the signal to pitch, filter, amplifier, or off.
Additional features include a pitch-bend lever, built in stereo speakers, a dedicated volume control, an octave slider, and a looper section which operates a phrase looper for recording and playing back multiple, overlaid loop phrases. On-board effects include distortion, chorus/flange, phaser, and delay with additional controls for depth and time. The CS can be switched between mono and poly and offers portamento or glide.
The miniature 37-note keyboard utilizes the same High Quality (HQ) technology as Yamaha's flagship Motif XF workstation keyboard, offering a premium feel and fast response for accurate and natural playing. The CS can be powered by 6 "AA" batteries and offers a foot control connection for hands-free volume control.
Other connections include two unbalanced 1/4" / 6.35mm outputs, a stereo 1/4" / 6.35mm headphone output, a stereo mini TRS 1/8" / 3.5mm input, and a mini-DIN connector providing MIDI in and out. Additionally, a USB connection is offered for connecting the instrument to a computer or iOS device. Although there is no preset memory, an iOS app is available to work as a librarian with parameters responding to MIDI CC controller data. The CS synthesizer ships with a power adapter and a MIDI breakout cable.
- Analog Physical Modeling Engine with multiple synthesis and oscillator types
- Each oscillator type has flexible LFO and ADSR routing plus unique TEXTURE and MOD controls that work as follows:
- Texture: Adds sub-oscillator
- Mod: Layers multiple sawtooth waves
- Texture: Changes pitch of second pulse wave
- Mod: Changes pulse width
- Oscillator Sync
- Texture: Changes pitch and tone of second oscillator
- Mod: Sets pitch change amount
- Ring Modulation
- Texture: Changes pitch of first oscillator
- Mod: Changes pitch of second oscillator
- Texture: Sets modulation amount
- Mod: changes pitch of the modulator
- Onboard Effects Processor: OFF (effect bypass), Delay, VCM Phaser, VCM Chorus/Flanger, and Distortion
- 8-Note Polyphony: Allows complex chords and pads or switch to mono Mode for fat synth bass or solo leads
- Keyboard: Based on the FS action found on the flagship Motif XF, HQ (High Quality) Mini Keys provide premium feel and response for fast, accurate and natural playing
- Integrated Phrase Looper: Capture song ideas or just jam
- Pedal: Continuous controller pedal input for volume control
Mobility and Connectivity
- Speakers: 2W 1.2" / 3.0 cm stereo speaker system lets you play any place, any time
- Specially designed bass reflex port technology enhances bass response for full, rich sound
- Battery Powered: Uses six "AA" batteries with five hours of life
- USB: USB "TO HOST" allows MIDI connectivity to your USB-equipped computer or iOS device
- Audio Output: Dual 1/4"unbalanced line outputs provide connection to mixers, audio interfaces, DI boxes and more
- Audio Input: A 3.5mm aux line input lets you connect and hear mobile devices, tablets and more through the instrument
- Soundmondo is a free sound sharing community that lets you discover, create and share reface Voices and Set Lists using Google Chrome any place, any time you're online
- Powered by Web MIDI, Soundmondo is simple to use - just connect reface to Chrome and you're ready to create or start browsing