Warm Audio WA12 MKII Dual-Transformer Microphone Preamplifier
The WA12 MKII Dual-Transformer Microphone Preamplifier from Warm Audio is designed for high gain (+71 dB), high headroom, and low noise. It is suitable for all types of recording applications. It is based around a discrete op-amp, the X731, considered to be the predecessor to the modern 2520-style op-amp. The X731 can achieve vibrant, clean, and lifelike tones; but can also be driven into mild saturation at much higher gain levels. The WA12 MKII can also accept any discrete op-amp, which conforms to the ±16V, 2520 pin out standard.
- Utilizes premium grade input and output USA CineMag transformers
- 71 dB of gain, fully discrete signal path
- Can be replaced with other 6-pin 2520 foot-print op-amps for varying tone/flavor
- TONE button - Switches the input impedance from 600 Ohms to 150 Ohms, changes the tone of both the microphone and HI-Z inputs
- 2-MOhm True HI-Z input on front panel, sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both Cinemag transformers and the discrete op-amp
- Suitable for guitars, bass, keyboards, and other instruments that have a 1/4" output jack
- Output attenuation control (after the CineMag output transformer) allows for driving the preamp and transformers into saturation
- LED meter gain indication
- External power plug
Raising The Volume
A lot of preamps on the market do a good job of raising the volume of mics and instruments. Unfortunately, many pres are doing only that, raising volume. The “Super clean” designs of today often leave the signal exiting the preamp sounding much the same as it did entering it.
If you are looking for a preamp to improve and shape your signal you will most definitely love the WA12 MKII. The WA12 MKII is designed to transform plain instruments and vocals into exciting tone. If your mixes lack depth, struggle to sound alive, or are just missing that professional touch you’ve always wanted, there is a good chance you will love the WA12 MKII.
Packed With Performance
The WA12 MKII is a completely discrete, high voltage, dual-transformer microphone preamplifier design with high gain (+71dB), high headroom, low noise, and an exciting sonic performance – great for all types of recording applications. A high quality mic preamp is one of the most critical pieces needed to achieve the elusive ‘larger than life’ sound, and the WA12 MKII is more than capable of delivering.
The WA12 MKII is based around a discrete op-amp, the X731, which is our own reproduction of the vintage classic Melcor 1731, considered by some to be the warmer predecessor to the modern 2520-style op-amp. The X731 can achieve vibrant, clean and lifelike tones; but can also be driven into mild saturation at much higher gain levels. The effects can be subtle, but very pleasing to the ear. The WA12 MKII can also accept any discrete op-amp on the market which conforms to the +/-16v, 2520 pinout standard.Specs:
- UTILIZES PREMIUM GRADE INPUT AND OUTPUT USA CINEMAG TRANSFORMERS.
- FULLY DISCRETE DESIGN WITH A ROBUST 71DB OF GAIN.
- UTILIZES A DISCRETE 6-PIN SOCKETED 1731 STYLE OPAMP. CAN BE REPLACED WITH OTHER 6-PIN "2520 FOOT-PRINT" OPAMPS FOR VARYING TONE/FLAVOR.
- 20DB PAD.
- TONE BUTTON – SWITCHES THE INPUT IMPEDANCE FROM 600 OHMS TO 150 OHMS. CHANGES THE TONE OF BOTH THE MIC AND HI-Z INPUTS.
- MIC LEVEL BALANCED INPUT: XLR.
- 2 MEG OHM TRUE HI-Z INPUT ON FRONT PANEL. SENDS INSTRUMENT SIGNAL THROUGH ENTIRE CIRCUIT INCLUDING BOTH CINEMAG TRANSFORMERS AND DISCRETE OPAMP. GREAT FOR GUITARS, BASS, KEYBOARDS AND OTHER INSTRUMENTS THAT HAVE A 1/4″ OUTPUT JACK.
- BALANCED OUTPUTS: XLR AND 1/4″/TRS.
- 48 VOLT PHANTOM POWER.
- LED METER GAIN INDICATION.
- OUTPUT ATTENUATION CONTROL (AFTER THE CINEMAG OUTPUT TRANSFORMER) ALLOWS FOR DRIVING THE PREAMP AND TRANSFORMERS INTO SATURATION.
- SWITCHABLE 115/230 VOLT IEC POWER INLET.