Warm Audio WA-412 4-Channel Microphone Pre-Amp with DI
The WA-412 from Warm Audio is a four-channel preamp for microphones and Hi-Z inputs housed in a 1 RU chassis. It's fashioned in the American console preamp style, providing a punchy bottom end and smooth trebles. Each channel gives you 65 dB of gain, polarity switching, a 20 dB pad, 48V phantom power, a switchable impedance selector for tonal shaping, and knobs for both input gain and output; this allows for both precise and creative gain structuring of sound. You can easily watch your signal via the on-board LED meter for every channel.
Under the hood, you'll notice that each channel uses a discrete and socketed 6-pin X520 op-amp, which helps in giving you a significant amount of headroom with minimal distortion characteristics. You'll also note the Altran input and output transformers. If you don't peak under the hood, you'll take comfort in the fact that these components are extending your low-frequency response all while maintaining a pleasurable and open sound.
- Mic & Instrument Inputs
- Up to 65 dB of Gain
- Output Gain Attenuator
- Transformer Balanced XLR & TRS Outputs
- X520 Discrete Op-Amp in Every Channel
- Switchable Input Impedance on Mic & Hi-Z
- LED Metering
- 48V Phantom Power, Polarity & 20 dB Pad
Classic American Console Preamp Design
The WA-412 provides 4 channels of classic American console preamps in a sleek 1RU design. This style of preamp is often referred to as "the sound of Rock n' Roll" for its BIG punchy low end and smooth open top end. The price/performance ratio of the WA-412 is almost unfathomable to the experienced studio engineer who has possibly paid much more for preamps of this style during their career. Featuring fully discrete socketed 6-pin opamps and custom wound Altran USA input and output transformers, the WA-412 leaves nothing to be desired. If you are looking for multiple channels of world class tone in an affordable package, the WA-412 is the right choice for you.
The Fouder's Inspiration Behind The WA-412
"When I first started holding regular studio sessions years ago I always desired to have more channels of high-end mic pre's. I could only afford to have one or two in my studio at a time, which was never enough to record a full band or drummer. I knew very well that if signals were not recorded well "on the way in" they wouldn't be salvageable later, but my budget constrained me. Because of this so many of the sources were recorded through poor-quality mic preamps. If the WA-412 was available back then I likely wouldn't have had to settle for poor, low-quality tone. The WA-412 was designed "for the people" (if you will) and we believe it will become a serious work-horse in many professional and home studios". - Bryce Young (founder)
Packed With Features
The WA-412 has all of the features one would expect from this style of preamp... and more. Output Trim is available on every channel for precise control and creative gain staging. A Tone switch (transformer input impedance) is also available on each channel, which allows you to choose between a warm and punchy classic console tone, or go for a more open & neutral sound.
Each channel utilizes a fully discrete socketed 6-pin opamp that can be swapped with other opamps. Discrete opamp circuitry is known for its high headroom and low distortion characteristics and has much to do with the coveted sound of these classic console preamps.
- 4 CHANNEL MICROPHONE PREAMPLIFIER + INSTRUMENT DI
- FULLY DISCRETE, TRANSFORMER COUPLED, THROUGH-HOLE COMPONENT TOPOLOGY
- ALTRAN USA CUSTOM WOUND, PREMIUM INPUT AND OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS
- X520 DISCRETE OP-AMP IN EVERY CHANNEL, SOCKETED FOR CONVENIENCE. CAN BE USER-REPLACED WITH MOST 6 PIN, DISCRETE OP-AMPS FOR VARYING FLAVOR & TONE
- 65DB OF GAIN
- INPUTS - MICROPHONE XLR & ACTIVE INSTRUMENT 2MEG OHM HI-Z
- OUTPUTS - TRANSFORMER BALANCED XLR & TRS
- -20DB PAD - PADS BOTH MIC AND INSTRUMENT DI INPUTS
- TONE BUTTON INPUT IMPEDANCE - SWITCHES FROM 600 OHMS TO 150 OHMS (AFFECTS THE TONE OF BOTH THE MIC AND HI-Z INPUTS)
- SELF NOISE: <-90DB (NOMINAL)
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20HZ TO 20KHZ <+/-0.25DB (TONE BUTTON OUT), 20HZ TO 20KHZ +/-2DB (TONE BUTTON IN)
- +48 VOLT PHANTOM POWER
- LED METERING
- OUTPUT TRIM KNOB FOR PRECISE LEVEL CONTROL AND TONE SCULPTING
- INTERNAL POWER SUPPLY (GROUNDED, 3 PIN IEC CORD)