If you need a USB mic for recording podcasts, streaming, or tracking vocal parts, the Mackie EM-USB offers a quality sound for just this purpose. It also delivers a reliable and rugged design at a reasonable price, making it both a suitable entry-level product, and a solid choice to augment a podcaster’s existing collection.
With its cardioid polar pattern, the mic rejects sound coming from behind the capsule to tamp down on pesky room ambience; this is a plus for many people who podcast from their home. All the accoutrements you need to get started are included. Mount the mic on the supplied desktop stand, plug the included USB cable to your computer, and you’re good to go. As a significant bonus to the entry-level engineer, the EM-USB ships with a download for ProTools | First, Avid’s entry into their industry-standard editing/mixing software. Also included is a software bundle containing Tracktion Waveform OEM and 23 high-quality plug-ins to get your recordings polished for broadcast.
Connects to Computers, Android, and iOS Devices
Get started right away, as this mic works directly with your computer. No separate interface or preamp is required. As a bonus, the EM-USB also works with Android and iOS devices, provided you bring your own powered USB 3 hub and device-appropriate adapter to the party.
Cardioid Polar Pattern for the Untreated Room
The microphone makes use of a directional cardioid polar pattern to minimize off-axis sound. This polar pattern naturally, yet effectively tamps down room tone and focuses the audio capture on what’s directly in front of the mic, so everyone can clearly hear your voice.
Headphone Monitoring & Easy-to-Use Controls
With its built-in 3.5mm jack, the EM-USB allows you to monitor your audio right from the microphone itself. The controls couldn’t be simpler: mic gain, headphone volume, and a handy mute button are all on hand, so you can get the perfect recording and monitoring level right from the mic itself.
Broadcast-Quality Audio Capture
The mic records audio at sample rates and resolutions up to 16-bit / 48 kHz, giving you the broadcast standard for media playback.
Handy Hardware Included
With an included tripod stand, mic mount, and USB cable, you can get up and running right away. Simply place the mic in the mount, attach the mount to the stand, and run the USB cable from EM-USB into your computer.
Industry-Standard Software Included
Avid Pro Tools has been an industry standard in studios and homes for decades, and the EM-USB offers you a gateway into the world of Pro Tools with free, included software. Pro Tools | First (available for macOS and Windows operating systems) is easy enough for beginners, yet sophisticated enough for experienced musicians. Get many of the same tools used by your favorite artists and recording studios, collaborate online with anyone, anywhere, and create at the speed of your imagination. You also get Tracktion’s Waveform OEM and the DAW Essentials Collection. In addition to the powerful plug-ins within Pro Tools | First, this mixer comes with the exclusive Mackie Musician Collection featuring 23 fantastic plug-ins:
- Avid 304E EQ: Add musical warmth with a treble and bass equalizer with sweepable mid control
- Avid 304C Compressor: Tweak the clarity, balance, and rhythmic feel of music with this optical-modeled compressor
- BBD Delay: Create delay, chorus, and vibrato effects based on a classic guitar pedal
- Black Op Distortion: Add rich distortion based on a classic distortion pedal
- Black Shiny Wah: Achieve the famous classic tones of a respected wah wah pedal
- Black Spring Reverb: Get the twang and space of a vintage amplifier
- C1 Chorus: Emulates a classic chorus pedal
- DC Distortion: Dial up a range of overdriven tones with this Avid custom distortion effect
- Eleven Lite: Get the sound of popular guitar amps and speaker cabinets
- Flanger: Create esoteric sounds with this homage to vintage and modern flangers
- Graphic EQ: Sculpt frequencies with ease
- Gray Compressor: Add warmth to tracks based on a vintage Ross compressor
- Green JRC Overdrive: Get the coveted sounds of a classic IC overdrive pedal
- In-Tune: Keep your instruments in tune with this digital tuner
- Orange Phaser: Create interesting effects with this phase shifter based on a classic design
- Roto Speaker: Recreate the sounds of a Leslie rotary speaker cabinet
- Sci-Fi: Add analog synth-type ring and frequency modulation
- Studio Reverb: Create natural-sounding reverb and ambient effects
- Tape Echo: Add vintage analog delay and chorus effects
- Tri Knob Fuzz: Get the Hendrix tone with this fuzz box based on one of the first fuzz pedals
- Vari-Fi: Create the effect of audio changing tape speed
- Vibe Phaser: Add phase-shift and rotary speaker effects
- White Boost: Boost gain without coloring tone